Can you imagine my shock to find this the other day? I have been pretty good about bag care and storage but totally forgotten to insert acid free paper inside the pocket. With time and a little humidity, lining surface became sticky and came off when I pried them apart. Darn! I don't know if this is just a Louis Vuitton and Gucci issue because my other bags are fine. Yes, another Gucci bag lining came apart like this too!!!
We spend so much money "investing" in bags but often I see my friends neglect their bags which makes SG cringe every time I see bags just toss on the floor carelessly when not in use. I am like the bag storage police among my friends. To be fair, they don't mean to mistreat their precious bags. So I will go into this 5 minute "talk" with them about bag care and storage.1. Condition leather with leather care every 6 month or as necessary
---Since SG rotates bags, I usually try to condition each before putting it away. This way, bags will look like new for years.
2. If there is a chain strap, store the chain inside the bag to prevent the chain from putting accidental indentation on the leather outside. Wrap the chain with tissue to protect the leather on the inside as well
3. If there is a removable strap, roll it up and store inside the bag wrap with tissue when not in use to prevent strap from disappearing and warping
4. Place an insert between the flap and body to further protect the leather
5. Stuff tissues inside to keep the shape when not in use
---I usually save tissues from shopping trips to stuff bags.
6. Place bag in its own sleeper and box if available
---I will use clean old pillow case (modify to fit the bag size) if sleeper is not available. This method protects bags from elements such as bugs and dust.
7. Keeping the shape of the bag in top condition by curbing the urge to stuff everything into the bag
So how do you care for your handbags so they are in top condition?